Mid-ranger every year
- Advantages: - Now day mid-range phone has enough power that you don’t miss most of the high-end feature.
- There are cheaper and if you can upgrade by a buyback offer you get the new mid-range quite cheap.
- The phone market is changing very fast.. new design/features are added every 6 months or so .. if you want to be in touch with current trend economically buying mid-range make sense.
- Dis-Advantages: - Mid-ranger will not give the best in every department. You will have to compromise at some point.
Flagship every other year
- Advantages: - You get the best feature which is comparable to mid-range even after a year. So you don’t have to compromise anything for the 1st year and another year you will have to compromise.
It makes sense if you can take care of the phone, as after a year wear and tear is quite visible.
- Dis-Advantages: - You will be stuck with a year old phone.
- Buyback generally is bad after a year.
So basically it depends on your personal preference if you can manage a phone for 2 years without the temptation of a new phone then go for a flagship phone every alternate year or you can buy a mid-range every year. Let me know your views in comments.