Finally we have a mobile app from Indian Railways using which we can buy Local ticket online directly from mobile app. No more queues or using of any smart cards. You will need GPS on and need to be near a railway station to buy a ticket as of now (And you have to be stand still, even walking while using the app doesnt work). Also you will need to refill the app with money with a Debit card only. Even with all this limitation I liked the app as it reduces the waiting in lines. It is surely a step in a right direction and hopefully app will become more user friendly in future.
Process to use the app:
1. First the passenger will get registered by providing his/her mobile number, name, city, default booking train type, class, ticket type, number of passenger and frequently traveling routes.
2. Upon successful registration, Railway Wallet (R-Wallet) will be created automatically with zero balance to the passenger. There will be no extra cost for creating R-Wallet.
3. The R-Wallet can be recharged either at any of the UTS counter or through recharge option available in the https://www.utsonmobile.indianrail.gov.in website.
4. Currently, Paperless Ticket can be booked for Journey Ticket, Season Ticket and Platform Ticket. Platform Ticket booking is allowed for some selected stations only.
5. No advance ticket booking is allowed. (i.e.)The journey date will always be current date.
Currently its available only for android you can download it from Google Play store.